Happy Weekend, friends!
Welcome to the 4th edition of “Five on Friday”! This is just a fun little weekly post where I share a few new things I am doing and thinking about in hopes of inspiring YOU!
- Listening to: a new podcast by Emily P. Freeman called “The Next Right Thing”. I was going to give you a link to my favorite episode, but I can’t because I have thoroughly enjoyed each one! Here is how she describes what the podcast is about: “Each episode will offer a short reflection, a simple action, and a benediction to help you create a little more space for your soul to breathe so you can discern your next right thing.” Emily’s voice is so soothing and I have found every topic she discusses to be quite relevant to my own life. (plus the episodes are about 15 minutes in length, which is in my opinion, the perfect length for my short attention span! LOL)
- Reading: the book of Colossians with Katie Orr and her Bible Study Hub Facebook group and I was reminded how helpful it is to get a bit of background on a book of the Bible FIRST before you dive into reading. For instance, knowing that Paul was in prison when he wrote this letter to the church at Colossae gave me a deeper appreciation for his words. When I face the smallest inconvenience, I can be very self-centered. Paul was in prison and yet his concern was for the well-being of his brothers and sisters in Christ. I love that. What an example!
- Pondering: Hurricanes and the mandatory evacuations that go before them. It makes me wonder what I would grab to take with me if I had to leave my house in a hurry, not knowing what condition it might be in when I return. I’d definitely take my Bibles and journals, maybe my favorite pillow, and a suitcase with about a week’s worth of clothing. Come to think of it, there’s a Willow Tree figurine my Mom gave me that is one of the most special gifts I’ve ever gotten. I just love the meaning behind it…that she sees me as a shepherdess 🙂 Yep, I would grab that. I can’t think of much else. I would just want to get myself and my family to SAFETY asap.
- Something new I tried: I made a trip to Krispy Kreme today to try one of their pumpkin spice glazed doughnuts since it is a “one day only” thing. It was REALLY good but sadly, their glowing red “Hot Now” light was not on, so I had to suffer through eating a room temperature glazed doughnut. Ha!
- What I learned this week: The more you pray for an “enemy”–or even just someone you don’t like very much–the more you find your heart softening towards them. I have always heard that expression that goes something like, “it’s hard to hate someone you pray for”, but recently I started putting it into practice. Let me tell you, it was very uncomfortable at first. But the more I make myself do it, the better I actually feel! Not only do I recommend it for your own peace of mind, but also because Jesus tells us to:
“But I tell you to love your enemies and pray for anyone who mistreats you.“ — Matthew 5:44 CEV
Have a wonderful weekend!
*affiliate links included