Why We Need God’s Word {Every Single Day}

If you know anything about me, you know I absolutely adore the Word of God. But it hasn’t always been this way. Even though I have been a believer for about 40 years, I only started reading my Bible regularly about 4-5 years ago. For most of my adult life, I believed the Bible was boring, hard to read, and mostly, that it wasn’t worth my time because it just couldn’t possibly be relevant. I now know that all of those assumptions are false. More than assumptions, they are LIES I was believing that were keeping me from something that the enemy knew would make me a stronger, more effective follower of Christ AND of course deepen my relationship with Him.

While I am grateful that my eyes were finally opened to the truth, I’m sad that so many believers are living the way I did for so long–totally unaware of the power and joy that comes from knowing God more personally through His Word and the blessings that come from obedience to it. That’s why I wanted to share this list of four primary reasons I believe we MUST read our Bibles every single day.

1. For Instruction. God’s Word instructs me in the basic principles of the Christian life. It tells me how God wants me to live so that I stay on the right path and experience the very best He has to offer. I’d say the Bible is much like a “User’s Manual” for believers. Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light unto my path.” That’s exactly what it is. It tells us how we should behave, speak, think, pray, treat others, respond to trials, and LOTS of other important things that we can’t afford not to know if we want our lives to be happy and point others to the hope that is in Christ. I actually stumbled across James 1:25 this morning and I think it PERFECTLY illustrates what I am saying: “But the truly happy people are those who carefully study God’s perfect law that makes people free, and they continue to study it. They do not forget what they heard, but they obey what God’s teaching says. Those who do this will be made happy.
  2. To understand the character of God. Reading stories of God’s faithfulness displayed in the lives of people like Adam & Eve, Joseph, Nehemiah, David, Moses, and many others shows us how God likes to do extraordinary things through ordinary people like us. (I used to think the Bible was full of stories that were really just for kids in Sunday School, but now I know that they are in Scripture to teach us about God–what He’s like, how He works…what He’s capable of doing in the lives of those who are surrendered to Him). Having a basic understanding of the ways of God and His commitment to me gives me confidence, helping me feel better equipped to step out in faith when He calls me to do something. 1 Timothy 3:16-17 says, “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
  3. To see myself as I really am–the way God sees me. This sinful world we live in is full of lies and distractions and everyday we are bombarded by its mixed messages. We either feel inadequate because of comparison to others or we become prideful because of praise and applause we may receive. Well God’s Word is like a mirror that helps us see most clearly who we are. Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.” The Bible convicts us of hidden sin, shows us our need for a Savior but it also teaches us that we are so deeply loved, so precious to God, He sacrificed His only Son for us. He forgives our sins. He even delights in us! I can trust the Bible to tell me exactly who I am in Christ.
  4. It is the primary way God speaks to me. This is probably the reason I am most drawn to the Word of God. Not only does God directly answer my prayers and questions through Scripture, He also uses it to confirm things He’s previously put on my heart. He is so faithful to bring specific Scripture to mind when I need direction, peace, wisdom, etc. Every time He leads me to a passage of Scripture in response to something I have prayed about, my faith is increased. And God becomes more and more real to me! Romans 10:17 says “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

Which one of these reasons most speaks to your heart? I’d love to know!

Previous Post Next Post

11 Comments

• Reply Connie August 25, 2017 at 1:56 am

#3 … the world’s message is a loud one. Often it’s the world’s accusations and claims about us that speak the loudest. God’s perspective of us is always refreshing and full of great mercy. The Bible centers us.

• Reply Suzanne Merrill August 25, 2017 at 2:09 am

#1 and #4. I hunger to learn more and more about him, but I also long to hear from him. I want to know how to walk in a manner worthy so that He might be glorified! Thank you for this encouragment! ❤

• Reply Lina August 25, 2017 at 5:14 am

Hi Amy!
    Definitely, No. 2. I have been tracking all your post. through them and your encourage words, I had made some commitments. Since march I’ve had a goal to read my bible every day by follow a bible plan. Sincerely, I’m easily distracted with social media additionally, I’m no self discipline in this issue to achieve my goal of delight in God’s word. Today after your live stream I get home and said to myself you must resume your reading. I opened up my bible to read in 1 Chronicles about genealogies. But first I prayed asking God’ s help me to love his word even though I think this book is boring and hard to read I would like to longing his presence, guidance, blessing and mercy to my life by his word. However, I believe that through it I can understand God’s character and the fulfillment of all His promises and overall how He works in our life.

• Reply Amy August 25, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Good for you! I’m so happy that you are committed to seeking God through His Word! May He bless you richly for that!

• Reply Chiara August 25, 2017 at 9:21 am

What a beautiful post. I’m so glad I found you, you’re helping me so much in my spiritual life! I’m young and I just started to believe after almost 10 years of running from God’s love because it felt “more convenient”. How foolish I was! It is hard though; I don’t have (yet) a community to rely on, and I have so many questions sometimes it’s hard to just dig into the Word and listen to it. May I ask you how God brings specific Scripture to your mind? I always pray for Him to do the same, but I don’t know the Bible, I just started reading it and I don’t have memorized verses in my mind… so I don’t know whether I should just pray and flip my Bible open, and the verse I’ll see first is the one He wants me to read, or how does it work.
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but I’d really like to know how can I let God bring a specific Scripture to my mind.

• Reply Amy August 25, 2017 at 8:44 pm

He will bring Scripture to mind the more you read it and become familiar with it. It takes time. Just pray and tell God that you want Him to help you hide His Word in your heart and He will. Ask Him to guide you to Scripture that will encourage and strengthen you and He will! It just takes time. It didn’t happen for me right after I started reading the Bible. Not sure how long it took, but if you are serious about wanting to hear from Him through His Word, He won’t let you down. Just don’t give up 🙂

• Reply Lori Flowers August 25, 2017 at 9:39 am

Hi Amy! All of them really speak to me but especially #4. As Christian’s, we are always looking to “hear from the Lord” but sometimes the world is so loud that his still voice is quiet to us so sitting down in his presence with the word is imperative. To be candid, before I got married (2 years ago) I had amazing quiet time and bible study with the Lord. After marriage I found myself struggling to get back in that groove. Your encouragement and suggestions on journaling and study have been a huge help. Thank you!

• Reply Amy August 25, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Thank you Lori! I always enjoy hearing from you 🙂

• Reply Marta August 25, 2017 at 10:14 am

The one that speaks to me is the last one. My faith increases by reading his word. I picked up the bible so many times before but I always gave up because it was like reading in a foreign language, very intimidating and frustraring. Lately I can’t wait for my quiet moment when i can read your posts and find the bible verse that speaks to me. I still have a long way to go but I’m U’m on my way! Thank you so much!

• Reply Amy August 25, 2017 at 8:45 pm

That’s awesome! Thank you 🙂

• Reply Jana Brantley Shoemake August 30, 2017 at 3:17 am

Thank you Amy for sharing how and why to journal daily. I thank you for your dedication to teaching us more about our Lord. The above post was eye opening and beautiful! I have learned so much from you, and will continue to! May God bless and keep you!