Five on Friday

Happy Friday, friends! This feels like my first “real” blog post, so I should probably say WELCOME!

Today I am beginning a new series here and I hope you enjoy it! I thought it would be fun to share on Fridays five things I’m currently enjoying or pondering that might just inspire you to try something new!

1. What I’m watching: A weekly video series on Lifeway’s blog that goes along with a six week study written by Lisa Jo Baker called “We Saved You a Seat: Finding and Keeping Lasting Friendships”. If you are interested in doing the study, you will need to purchase the book, but you can watch this weekly video discussion for free until October 1.
  2. What I’m reading: Every morning after I journal and pray, I read from my “Every Day with Jesus Daily Bible” for my devotional reading. Each day’s reading includes a passage from both the Old and New Testaments, a passage from the Psalms, and a passage from Proverbs. It’s followed by a short devotion written by Selwyn Hughes (all of which have been very good). *Additionally, I am still working my way through Lisa Whittle’s amazing book “Put Your Warrior Boots On: Walking Jesus Strong Once and for All”. (Highly recommend this!)
  3. Something I’m pondering: Being a lot more choosy about what I am entertained by. Every summer I watch the same reality tv show and every summer, I regret allowing myself to get hooked on it. Each episode is filled with lying, manipulating, gossiping, etc. Hurting others for the sake of winning the game is what it’s all about. No coincidence that as I was sort of examining my heart about watching this kind of behavior for “entertainment”, this passage in Romans came up in my morning devotional reading: They are filled with all unrighteousness, evil, greed, and wickedness. They are full of envy, murder, quarrels, deceit, and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, arrogant, proud, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, senseless, untrustworthy, unloving, and unmerciful. Although they know God’s just sentence—that those who practice such things deserve to die—they not only do them, but even applaud others who practice them.”  (Romans 1:29-32) Immediately I was convicted. I thought of myself, cheering for certain players on this show who are modeling the sinful behavior discussed in this passage. I’m really sorry if I am stepping on anyone’s toes here, but I thought about Jesus suffering on a cross because of sin. And here I was, cheering on sinful behavior. Yuck. No more. As awkward as it can be, I’m truly grateful for Holy Spirit conviction.
  4. Something new I tried: cauliflower rice!  Super quick and a yummy, healthy side dish!
  5. What I learned this week: Intercessory prayer is a vital part of ministry to others. I truly believe what the world needs SO MUCH MORE than another Christian book, blog post, or inspiring verse image to post on Instagram, is for more people to simply care enough to ask the people around them, “How may I pray for you?” and then commit to doing it! I invited friends to share their prayer requests with me recently and nearly 50 people responded. I heard story after story of deep, personal hurts and pleas for prayer. I thought about all the time I had spent working on my Instagram account and what I could do to grow my “ministry” and I felt sick. None of those things mattered much when I saw how grateful people were for someone to take the time to pause and commit to prayer. It gave them hope! I realized how VITAL prayer is in the life of a believer — and how much more of it I need to be doing.

What is something YOU have learned or enjoyed recently? Let me know in the comments!

*affiliate links are included in this post

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply Osheen Wright August 11, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Wow. I am in tears (in my heart) by your transparency. Seriously. Tears of joy are in my heart by your transparency.
    Well I have learnt this week that I cannot be true to who I am if I don’t know who I belong to and whose I belong to. If I don’t know my identity in Christ then I will not be effective.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2017 at 12:00 am

Very true!

• Reply Connie August 11, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Love your authenticity! Was always surprised that you watched that show but knew your heart. I tried a RevWell fitness class! Dancing, drumsticks,weights wow. Loved it! You Rock my friend!

• Reply Amy August 12, 2017 at 12:01 am

I love YOU friend! The fitness class sounds like fun! You go, girl!

• Reply Wanda August 12, 2017 at 12:01 am

As a follower of your Instagram account for several weeks now, I am so glad that you started blogging. Thank you. You have shared so many things that have improved the way I interact with the Bible.

I learn from people who are on fire for God. You are one of them and I’ve learned a lot from you already.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Thanks so much, Wanda.

• Reply Krista August 12, 2017 at 12:02 am

Wow! I really like the idea of summarizing my week. Thank you again for being transparent. Helping me move in the right direction.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Aw, I appreciate that! Thank you for the feedback!

• Reply Danielle Barlow August 12, 2017 at 12:04 am

The Romans passage has been recently convicting me in a similar way this month. Am I applauding this sin?! The Lord is gracious and compassionate to teach us so gently.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Yes exactly. Also, what stood out to me in that passage–the list of sins–was how their were a mix of what I would consider a “terrible” sin and then there were others that seemed more “acceptable, everyday” type sins, you know? It reminded me that they are ALL offensive to God.

• Reply Alisa Beets August 12, 2017 at 12:12 am

Love this Amy❤ You are certainly being obedient and led by the LORD Jesus.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Thank you Alisa. I’m not sure how well I am doing yet, but I can say without hesitation that it is certainly a lot more important to me than it once was.

• Reply Suzanne August 12, 2017 at 11:28 am

I am so encouraged by you. Thank you for reminding me that I don’t have to be perfect to follow Him. Your posts take the away intimidation of reading the Bible by showing a simple and effective way to study. And thank you for reminding me that the most important thing I can do is to love others. You are a true inspiration.

• Reply Amy August 14, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Thank you! I used to (and sometimes still do) get a little down on myself because I feel like what I share is SO basic! BUT…I keep hearing people say that they appreciate basic! Haha! I am just very thankful that God can use my simple sharing 🙂

• Reply Tami Theobald August 12, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Amy I love this. Intercessory pray. Yes, people just need to know someone cares. And will pray for their hurts. Thank you for always going to the LORD with mine.

• Reply Amy August 12, 2017 at 2:17 pm

That’s what friends are for.

• Reply Lori Flowers August 13, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I am truly enjoying your posts and now your blog! I am a huge fan of your journal method and have since passed it on to a group of women I do Plexus with and some of my Pinky Promise sisters. I sent them to your page and encouraged them to all get notebooks. I see breakthroughs coming already. Thank you Amy!

• Reply Amy August 14, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Lori, your message made my day! Thank you for taking the time to encourage me. It means a lot 🙂

• Reply Ashley August 15, 2017 at 4:58 am

I just wanted to drop in to say that I appreciate you taking social-media-free weekends. I get it! But I wanted you to know you’ve been such an inspiration to me via Instagram. I haven’t been to church in 10 years; I’ve never read the Bible. But your posts have inspired me, and I’ve been actively participating in “quiet time” study of the Bible for the last 6 weeks. I am encouraged by your posts, your prayers each day, and your analysis of the Psalms. So please take the weekends to be present with those you love, but know that your social media presence is more inspiring than you can imagine. I’m so grateful I found your posts!

• Reply Amy August 18, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Thank you so much, Ashley! I am grateful for your encouragement!

• Reply Audra K. August 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Just wanted to leave a quick note and say how much I enjoyed this blog post!! It’s so refreshing to read positive, encouraging, and God-honoring words! I love this series!